- “From modern to postmodern skyscraper urbanism and the rise of historic preservation in Sydney, Melbourne and Perth, 1969-1988”, Journal of Urban History 41, no. 1 (2019).
- “The National Estate (and the city), 1969–75: a significant Australian heritage phenomenon”, International Journal of Heritage Studies (forthcoming).
- “‘A Regional Conservation Manifesto’ and the Australian re-invention of urban heritage management, ca.1975–ca.1985”, International Journal of Regional and Local History 12, no. 2 (2017): 120–133.
- “‘Why not call ourselves Mutilated Melbourne?’ A history of urban heritage at the Rialto Towers”, Historic Environment 28, no 3 (2016): 22–35.
- “Melbourne’s Famous Pet Dog: Larry La Trobe”, La Trobeana 15, no. 1 (2016): 37–45.
- “The Curious Case of the Dog in the City”, Melbourne Historical Journal 41 (2013): 103–127.
- “Land Boom Advertising: a socio-spatial mapping of the 1885 subdivision of Cremorne”, The La Trobe Journal 92 (2013): 97–106.
- “Heritage value is in the eye of the beholder: why Fed Square deserves protection“, The Conversation, 10 August 2018. (Republished in ArchitectureAU, translated into Cantonese by SBS.)
- “Apple’s store has no place in the people’s Fed Square”, Herald Sun, 19 February 2018, p. 24–5. With Tania Davidge.
- “Apple is exploiting the power of its brand to claim an important part of our city”, Age, 21 December 2017, p. 19.
- “Preserving cities: how ‘trendies’ shaped Australia’s urban heritage”, Conversation, 4 November 2016.
- “Sixty years of the National Trust in Victoria’, 60th Anniversary Special Feature Magazine, National Trust of Australia (Victoria), August 2016.
- “Lockout laws repeat centuries-old mistake of denying value of cities as messy places”, Conversation, 7 June 2016. With Andrew May.
- “Innovation and Reaction: What Would a Minister for Cities Be Good For?”, The Fifth Estate, 12 August 2015.
- “Binders Full of History: The Forgotten Interwar History of The University of Melbourne”, UMA Bulletin: News from the University of Melbourne Archives 33 (September 2013): 1–3.
- Conference Review: ““Remaking Cities: The Fourteenth Australasian Urban History/Planning History Conference, Melbourne, 2018”, Planning Perspectives (forthcoming). With Lauren Piko and Victoria Kolankiewicz.
- Book Review: “Graeme Davison, City Dreamers (2016)”, Urban History 44, no. 2 (2017): 352–354. [Read on blog.]
- Exhibition Review: “Exhibition: A History of the Future (2016)”, Melbourne Historical Journal 44 (2016): 154–156. [Read on blog.]
- Book Review: “Shane Ewen, What is Urban History (2016)”, Melbourne Historical Journal 43 (2015): 138–140. [Read on blog.]
- “The Bread and Cheese Club.”Australasian Urban / Planning History (AUHPH) Biannual Conference Proceedings, Melbourne, 2018. With David Nichols.
- “Melbourne’s nineteenth-century heritage arcades.” AUHPH Proceedings, Melbourne, 2018. With Nicole Davis.
- “Locating the national in the urban: heritage and scale in the twentieth-century Australian City.” AUHPH Proceedings, Gold Coast, 2016.
- “To adopt the Australian Burra Charter or an ‘Aotearoa Charter’ in New Zealand?: historical reflections on trans-Tasman urban heritage practice, ca. 1970s–90s”, Association of Critical Heritage Studies, 4th Biannual Conference. Hangzhou, September 2018.
- “From the picturesque to the present: Australian heritage regime prototypes, 1888–1968”, 14th International Conference on Urban History, European Association for Urban History. Rome, August 2018.
- “Two steps forward: pounding the pavement in the digital city”, 14th International Conference on Urban History, European Association for Urban History. Rome, August 2018. With Andrew May, Helen Morgan and Mitchell Harrop.
- “The Bread and Cheese Club”, Australasian Urban History & Planning History Conference, Melbourne, February 2018. With David Nichols.
- “Melbourne’s nineteenth-century heritage arcades”, Australasian Urban History / Planning History Conference, Melbourne, February 2018. With Nicole Davis.
- “‘A Regional Conservation Manifesto’ and the Australian re-invention of urban heritage”, Cultural Heritage Seminar Series. Deakin University, October 2017.
- “Twitter for Academic Activism,” School of Historical and Philosophical Studies, University of Melbourne, October 2017. Panel with Lauren Pikó and Mike Jones.
- “The limits of urban heritage in the late-twentieth-century Australian city”, UK Urban History Group Conference. Royal Holloway London, April 2017.
- “Reconstructing urban heritage in the mid-twentieth-century Australian city”, Understanding Material Loss. University of Birmingham, February 2017.
- “Hierarchies of attachment: regulating urban heritage in the mid-twentieth-century Australian city”, Urban Belonging Conference. Institute of Historical Research, University of London, January 2017.
- “Locating Australia’s National Estate: a useful concept for settler cities?”, 13th International Conference on Urban History, European Association for Urban History. University of Helsinki, August 2016.
- “The Australian city and its heritage mythologies”, 13th International Conference on Urban History, European Association for Urban History. University of Helsinki, August 2016.
- “Challenging Modernity: Skyscrapers, Heritage and the late Twentieth Century Australian City”, Australian Historical Association, Federation University, Ballarat, July 2016.
- “Locating the national in the urban: heritage and scale in the twentieth-century Australian City”, Australasian Urban History / Planning History Conference, Gold Coast, February 2016.
- “Mapping the National Estate”, Australian Historical Association, University of Sydney, July 2015.
- “Spatialising Australian heritage”, 12th International Conference on Urban History, European Association for Urban History. Universidade Nova de Lisboa, September 2014.
- “Tokens of Taste or Stony Seduction? Plaster Casts in Melbourne’s Cremorne Gardens,” Victorian Tactile Imaginations. Birkbeck, University of London, July 2013. With Rebecca Kummerfeld.
- “Cremorne Gardens in Melbourne and London,” Australian Historical Association, University of Adelaide, July 2012.
Exhibition and other curation
- ‘Conservation Echoes in East Melbourne: Tracing a 1964 Heritage Itinerary’, National Trust of Australia (Victoria), May 2018. With Caitlin Mitropoulos.
- ‘City Songs’, City of Melbourne Gallery, 10 February to 19 April 2017. With the Melbourne History Workshop.
- ‘Rainbow Jews’, London School of Economics, 3 to 28 February 2014. With the project team.